Sunday, February 11

Sunday scribblings: wild rubies


Yummy... mmmm.... what a glorious word. Because of its slightly lower status it conjures up thoughts and visions not only of deliciousness, but of pure, unadulterated fun. And what’s better than fun deliciousness? Yummy you can eat with your hands, yummy should dribble down your chin, down your arms… Yummy is uninhibited scrumptiousness. Eat yummy with abandon, feed your lover yummy, because it doesn’t get better than this…

The yummiest thing I know? It’s easy. For a complete experience I need a sunny afternoon meadow, sometime in late July. With my yummy-detector on high I expertly scan the ground… and there they are, wild strawberries glowing like rubies… Nothing makes my heart sing quite like the vision of a patch of these delicious gems; their scent and aroma are enough to ricochet me back to my childhood, when we used to string them up on straw and wear them like necklaces until they disintegrated from our warm bodies, their juice trickling down our summer dresses.

Now I simply pick a handful and savour their intensity, enhanced by the late afternoon sun. Nothing bought, nothing exotic imported from faraway lands can compare with the taste of wild strawberries filling not just my mouth, but my entire self. It’s not just yummy, it is a moment of pure bliss…

18 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Yummm...I can taste those strawberries. Can't wait till they're in season!

gautami tripathy said...

What mouth watering strawberries! Yummy!


Do chk mine at:Yummy!!

Anonymous said...

they look mouth watering~ly yummy

xx Sophie

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Oh I just love that yummy detector:-)

Anonymous said...

You make me long for summer and those timeless days where air is warm and sweet and berries are juicy and...YUMMY! Your post really captures it for me.

strauss said...

Yum, indeed. I want some wild strawberries!
I LOVED the imagery of little girls with strawberry necklaces in the sun - that was truly magical.
Excellent post.

Anonymous said...

I think I need to work on my own yummy-detector. Loved this sensuality and frank enjoyment in this post. And the strawberries look DELICIOUS.

Regina said...

What a lovely picture of the yummiest strawberries! They truly are scrumptious!

paris parfait said...

Gorgeous strawberries! I saw some at the market earlier this week and soon they'll be everywhere. Delicious post.

Herb Urban said...

Is it summer yet? Your post reminded me of an apartment I once had within walking distance of Pike Place Market in Seattle. Every Sunday during the summer my wife and I would walk down and buy fresh berries, which we enjoyed while sitting out on our deck facing out on Puget Sound.

It is fascinating how an image can transport you to a particular place and time in your life inmere seconds.

My yummy detector loves your post!

Gypsy Purple said...

Great post...glad I came to visit

Chamara

RA said...

Hi, there! Thanks for your comment and thanks even more for your sweet post! What a great picture, too...

omg said...

Lovely writing, and a lovely image. I wonder how many summer dresses were ruined with strawberry juice stains. :)

Waspgoddess said...

I love visiting other Sunday scribblers and this weekend has been especially wonderful. So many mouthwatering yummies has really wreaked havoc with my appetite, I spent pretty much the entire Sunday eating... and dreaming of food. So, thanks for your sweet comments, but more importantly, thank you so much for your great yummies...

Meanwhile I'm wondering if I should trademark the "yummy-detector" :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I am so late - our building has had a power outage since Sunday morning.
I can feel the sunshine on my neck, and those wonderous berries exploding in my mouth.
Yummy.
Take care

Anonymous said...

Wow...here where there's a foot of snow outside, I can practically taste those strawberries!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

tania said...

oh god, when can spring come so i can go strawberry hunting? mouthwatering imagery here! thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi WG,
Experiences of the senses far more precious than any gems. Luscious post! Yes, "blissful yummy abandon" mmmmmmmm!

Strawberries and blueberries tie for my favorite fruit, the former lending itself far more to "uninhibited scrumptuousness." I plan to use my "yummy-detector" a lot this weekend... (great term you coined!)