Sunday, April 22

Sunday scribblings - rooted


Surrounding the garden of our house when I was a child was a lilac hedge. In the south-eastern corner, near the twisted old apple tree, where the lilacs grew especially tall and dense, was my favourite place. At the base between two bushes was a small opening, just large enough for a small child to crawl through; it opened up into a bower of sorts, a little den, which became my secret hiding place.

Surrounded by the intoxicating scent of the lilacs, I would play house; and later, reading whichever book I had on the go, whilst sucking the nectar from each of the tiny flower-ettes.

25 years have passed since my parents sold the house with the lilac hedge, yet every year when they are in bloom, I am transported back in time, their scent ensuring that a part of me remains firmly rooted in that garden. Their roots and mine are tightly intertwined, reminding me of the long, carefree summer days of my childhood.


14 comments:

kikare said...

Tjena! I envy you for having a childhood surrounded by the beauty of nature, and fortunately I am able to enjoy a bit of that myself in my adulthood :)

Tammy Brierly said...

What a delightful story! Lilacs remind me of my cherished grandma because she had the bush lilac too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. How lucky you are to have experienced that...it sounds like a fairy tale place--enchanted!

Anonymous said...

lovely.

hey, have you heard of a book called 'the price of water in finistere' by bodil malmstem? v. interesting...

p.s. tjena????

Mrs. Spencer said...

just the thought of lilacs make me smile. my neighbors had a huge lilac tree while i was growing up and every spring they would let us snip just a few to enjoy.

xoxo

La Cubana Gringa said...

I grew up with lilacs in the back yard, in a town where there was a lilac festival every year. Every time I get a whiff of the scent, for a moment, I'm seven again...with nothing but ballet class, tree climbing and frog-catching to worry about. Sigh... :)

Anonymous said...

I agree, lilacs are a time traveling machine.

JHS said...

What great memories! Thanks for sharing that. It brought back childhood memories for me, too . . .

My Sunday Scribblings are posted, too. Stop by!

Crafty Green Poet said...

This reminds me of my secret place when I was a child - the shrubbery at the bootom of my parent's garden.

gautami tripathy said...

I could smell those lilacs. Somethings remain with usforever.

Thanks for you visit and beautiful comments.

Anonymous said...

I feel similarly about my grandparents' lake house and their huge backyard. I find it amazing how a particular smell or flower can trigger the sweetest childhood memories.

deedee said...

Smells do attach us to certain memories. I love the smell of lilacs.

all over the map said...

I always wanted a secret retreat like that, in fact I still do.
Isn't it amazing how smell can bring back something so strong in our minds we can be there in an instant.
Nothing will ever take the memory from you, no matter how near of far you are from your childhood home.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Ah, I can smell the lilacs! Excellent post :)